Although Yilan is not really visited for being a shopping hub, those who wish to buy a few items will not be left disappointed. One of the biggest attractions when shopping in Yilan is the Luodong Night Market. This famous shopping district was voted as the third best night market in Taiwan and is a top location to experience the warm hospitality of the people of Yilan. Nestled in the center of Yilan City near the Zhongshan Park, the Luodong Night Market starts welcoming visitors at 5 in the afternoon and continues to lure in hungry tummies until midnight. This district is lively, vibrant and often crowded with people getting their share of clothing, fashion accessories, electronic products and handicrafts. Not only are items found here ultra- trendy with a wide choice of trends and varieties, they are extremely affordable as well.
Taiwan is known for the night markets full of the latest creations when it comes to food. The Luodong Night Market certainly lives up to being one of the best night markets in Taiwan with its wide choice of food items. Make sure to bring a hungry tummy ready to taste the most exotic and weirdest food you can ever imagine. Undoubtedly, you’ll leave this famed night market with hands full of bags and a stomach full of goods.
For those who prefer shopping in enclosed areas rather than squeezing through the often over-crowded night market, the Luna Plaza Shopping Mall is another popular place in Yilan. The Luna Plaza Mall is the biggest shopping mall in the city where you can find pretty much anything you need. Located along Minquan Road, the mall has three floors that cater to every shopaholic’s dream. From high profile brand names to local specialty stores, the Luna Plaza definitely has something for everybody. As Yilan is located near Taipei, which is the country’s capital city, the city has its share of special items similar to those of Taipei. Make sure to get a hold of these items when shopping in Yilan City:
1. Cakes and Pastries – Cakes and pastries can be found in almost every corner of Taiwan, so brace yourself to taste sweet, crispy, yet very fulfilling varieties of these yummy treats.
2. Candied Fruits – Imagine mangoes, pineapples, plums and dates all preserved to your liking. These candied fruits will definitely excite your taste buds with their sweet, sour and salty flavors. Buy these sweets in pre-packed and colorful bags that remain great items to bring home to the family.
3. Electronics – Are you having a hard time looking for a specific gadget that you just can’t get enough of? You will most likely find it in Taiwan. Know though that electronic gadgets may not be cheaper than the ones back home so make sure to have a good idea about the prices of the electronic items you are eyeing before purchasing anything.
4. Dried Seafood – Although fresh seafood is impossible to bring home, you can still savor the delectable taste of the city’s seafood through dried seafood products. See fish, shrimp and sea cucumber carefully packed and sold throughout the city.
5. Handicrafts – Find the most adorable hand-painted paper fans, wood carvings and tea sets that will get you all spoiled for choice when it comes to shopping for souvenirs. Although the number of people going to Yilan to shop is limited, the city still has a bit of promise when it comes to its choices. But be held by the fact that if you do need something when you’re in the city, shopping in Yilan has adequate choices to provide you with what you need.