Trekking in Baguio is one of the most recommended activities, especially for adventurous travelers. Those who are accustomed to hiking, trekking, mountain climbing, rock climbing, spelunking or caving know how important it is to bring essential gear with you for the trip. Here is a checklist for both the experienced ones and to those amateur trekkers that have no idea what to bring.
- In general, think nature and think rural. Don’t even think of bringing anything connected to the Internet unless you’re subscribed to your own mobile Internet service. Don’t expect trekking to have the modern conveniences of the city, which is the reason why you visited the mountains in the first place.
- Since trekking is all about exploration, the most important thing would be having sensible walking shoes such as comfortable rubber shoes, sturdy sandals or hiking shoes.
- With the dozen of places to explore in Baguio, travelers can dictate their own pace. Sightseeing on foot can get very physical and even strenuous especially for those who are not used to being outdoors. Bring with you light clothing such as walking shorts and a light t-shirt. Don’t get weighed down by your heavy and bulky clothing.
- Baguio is known for its cool weather that can get significantly chilly especially at night. Pack with you a light jacket. Bringing a jacket will help keep you warm during the day and can also protect you from the harsh sunlight. You can easily take it off if needed and wrap it around your waist so you can move freely.
- A small backpack that contains supplies, spare clothing and personal belongings will be good to carry with you especially when trekking in Baguio. Backpacks are much more recommended than shoulder bags so your hands and limbs are free for movement when climbing or descending. Some trails may take a few hours and might get you thirsty or hungry along the way. Pack a water bottle, munchies, spare shorts and an extra t-shirt. Crackers, protein bars and energy bars are always good and handy foodstuff to bring. Most importantly, bring water. Make sure your supplies do not drag you down during your trek.
- Bring, apply and wear all your sun protection material. Sunlight can be harmful to the skin when hiking and trekking around Baguio. Bring sunglasses, a cap or hat and sun block as needed. Make sure to bring these supplies with you for re-application when you know that you’ll be out in the sun for several hours.
- Pack your personal stuff with you such as a towel, toiletry items and medicine. Depending on the length of your hike, you may need to bring these basics along with you. Stores along the trek might not have the essentials that you need so it’s better to bring your own.
- Bring a camera to document those wonderful moments of your trek.
If you want to make your trekking in Baguio trip enjoyable and hassle-free, bring these essentials that will undeniably help you have a happy trek.