The city of Ho Chi Minh is the largest city in Vietnam and one of the fastest developing nations in Asia. Previously known as Saigon City, this place is regarded as the economic and trading center of Vietnam. It is also slowly becoming a hot tourist destination because of its numerous historical and religious sites. With such claims, health in Ho Chi Minh City is one factor that many travelers are particular about.
Because of the steady increase in tourist count, the medical and health care system of the city is relatively developed, having been improved to cater to the medical needs of visiting travelers. Some of the more established hospitals in the city provide quality services that are at par with international standards. Decent health care is readily available, along with many English-speaking doctors and hospital staff that are more than willing to provide you with medical services.
Here are some of the major hospitals found in the city:
- Cho Ray Hospital – This hospital is the largest and most widely renowned general hospital in the city that offers medical treatment and allied services within global standards. The hospital was established in 1990 with the extensive help of the Japanese government. With its well-equipped departments and specialties, the Cho Ray Hospital has become one of the largest hospitals in South East Asia with a total area of 53,000 square meters and 1,200 beds. Today, the hospital employs 2,270 health workers and 500 medical doctors and pharmacists.
- Victoria Health International – This reliable hospital offers world-class health care services and treatments specifically for Women’s Health, Pediatrics, Heart Care, Mental Care, Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology. The hospital also organizes training programs in first aid, safety and occupational health.
- Columbia Asia Medical Center – Columbia Asia’s major attraction is its high quality medical services at affordable costs perfect for the citizens of Ho Chi Minh City. This hospital has thus become a well-visited hospital for the fast-growing middle income group of the city. The only drawback is its conservative size with only 65 adult beds.
- FV Hospital – The Franco-Vietnamese Hospital is reputable because of its modern facilities. The hospital was founded in 2003 by a group of French medical practitioners. With the support of the World Bank, the hospital is known for its quality medical services and highly effective medical treatments provided by dedicated doctors and competent staff.
- Hospital for Tropical Diseases (HTD) – This well-known medical center offers treatment and control for many infectious and communicable diseases for patients located in Southern Vietnam. Operated by the Ministry of Health, HTD has treated millions of patients with tropical diseases since its establishment in 1862. The hospital is also a World Health Organization approved center and has won awards as the Best Hospital of Vietnam in 2001 and 2002.
Pharmacies around the city are adequate but make sure to check expiration dates carefully before purchase. You should also be aware that some medicines may be counterfeits so buy only from reputable pharmacies. Traveler’s health in Ho Chi Minh City is essentially well taken care of, which makes visiting the Saigon City a more pleasant and worry-free experience.