The last thing you want to think about when you’re in a beautiful island spending a much-needed vacation is medical emergency. But being responsible means thinking about your health in Palawan even when you’re having the time of your life. You needn’t worry, though: there are health care facilities and hospitals in Palawan equipped with all the facilities needed for the usual medical crises.
A word of advice, though. While leading private medical facilities in large urban cities may have all you expect in a hospital, provincial hospitals are generally lacking in modern equipment and are void of medical advances and recent technologies. It’s best to transfer a patient requiring serious treatment to a larger hospital in Manila as soon as he can be moved. Immediate medical help can be provided by the Palawan hospitals, but the best medical centers in the country are still generally acknowledged to be those in the nation’s capital.
It should also be a rule of thumb to bring money with you. If hospital confinement is advised, hospitals commonly demand a down payment. Unfortunately, health insurance cards from other countries may not be accepted by local hospitals. At discharge, you may have to settle the amount in cash.
Big hospitals are located in Palawan’s capital city, Puerto Princesa, while each municipality of Palawan has Rural Health Units. Patients of these government-provided units are attended by one doctor and medical staff. Following are the government and private hospitals in Palawan if you should ever need immediate medical attention:
- Aborlan Medicare Hospital – Poblacion Street Aborlan, Palawan
- Queon Medicare Hospital – Queon Palawan
- Roxas Medicare Hospital – Roxas, Palawan
- Brooke’s Point District Hospital – Brooke’s Point, Palawan
- Taytay District Hospital – Taytay, Palawan
- Cuyo District Hospital – Cuyo, Palawan
- Coron District Hospital – Coron, Palawan
- Narra Municipal Hospital – Narra, Palawan
- Dumaran Municipal Hospital – Dumaran, Palawan
Rural Health Units
- Rizal Rural Health Unit – Rizal, Palawan
- Bataraza Rural Health Unit – Bataraza, Palawan
- San Vicente Rural Health Unit – San Vicente, Palawan
- Araceli Rural Health Unit – Araceli, Palawan
- Linapacan Rural Health Unit – Linapacan, Palawan
- Busuanga Rural Health Unit – Busuanga, Palawan
- Cagayancillo Rural Health Unit – Cagayancillo, Palawan
- Palawan Adventist Hospital – San Pedro, Puerto Princesa City
- Sacred Heart Hospital – Narra, Palawan
- Manipol Hospital – Brooke’s Point, Palawan
- RTN Hospital – Rio-Tuba, Bataraza, Palawan
- Palawan Baptist Hospital – Roxas, Palawan
- Alfonso Birthing Home – Malvar Street, Puerto Princesa, Palawan
- Leoncio General Hospital – Brooke’s Point, Palawan
- Sagrado Hospital – Brooke’s Point, Palawan
And of course, there is the Cooperative Hospital/Medical Mission Group at Burgos Street, Puerto Princesa.
Pharmaceutical Stores are available throughout all the towns of Palawan. Prescription drugs and over-the-counter medicines can be bought depending on availability. Paracetamol medicines and medicines for coughs or colds are readily available. If you’re on any kind of medication, be sure to bring a large enough supply of your medicine to last your entire stay in Palawan, just in case.
Finally, you may want to consider having an oral medicine or a vaccination against Malaria as it is common in Palawan. Otherwise, insect-repellant lotions are also available in drugstores. Come prepared for any emergency and take care of your health in Palawan.