When it comes to traditional Laotian attire, which arose centuries ago, these bright colorful patterns remain popular in many clothing styles of today. Although a good mix of modern and traditional Laotian clothing has emerged, Western-style attire dominates everyday city life in Laos. As travelers, it is important to know information about a country or city before actually going there to avoid any tourist blunders that might happen. Although Vientiane locals are very forgiving, it is better to know a little bit of what to bring, what to pack and what to wear in Vientiane.
- Bring not just good but great walking shoes or sandals with you. Touring around Vientiane requires a lot of walking so you might want to wear great sturdy and reliable shoes.
- Bring a folding umbrella with you when touring around town, especially during the rainy seasons. The wettest months are July and August and rain showers often pour down during late afternoons so plan your day accordingly as to not let the rain stop you from seeing the different tourist destinations.
- Although Vientiane is generally hot, its cold season may bring lower temperatures that might bring about the need to do some covering up, especially for those susceptible to cold climates. There are also buses, restaurants and hotels that are overly air-conditioned so bring at least a warm cardigan, pullover or shawl with you.
- Neat and respectful attire should always be worn in all religious shrines in Vientiane. It is considered impolite to visit religious monuments in shorts, mini-skirts or tight-fitting pants.
- Although shoes can be worn in temple grounds, they should be removed when entering a temple or chapel with a principal Buddha image. Indeed, Buddha images are extremely sacred regardless of the size, age or position, which means that due respect should be upheld at all times. To make taking shoes off easily when entering temples, bring sandals or slip-ons instead.
- If you’re not too picky and meticulous, there are plenty of toiletries available in the city. But if you have your favorite items or need something specific, it will be better to just pack it with you instead.
- It is also important to carry your own toilet paper. Most of the toilets whether private or public have no toilet paper provided. While at it, it may be advisable to bring antibacterial wipes or gel with you.
- Although insect repellants are found around Vientiane, some visitors may have their favorite brands that are not normally found in the city. Bring your own to be sure.
- A first aid kit with proper over-the-counter medications is a very good idea because medical resources are very limited in Laos, even in the capital city.
- Zip lock bags are also good to carry around. They are cheap, disposable and keep all kinds of important things fresh and dry.
- It also doesn’t hurt to bring a tourist map along with you. Tourist attractions in Vientiane are located very close to one another, making touring on foot not a stressful activity to do.
- Laos is a beautiful country with an exceptionally pleasant capital city. Bring a camera, charge it and snap away!
There is nothing worse than being caught empty-handed or inappropriately clothed when visiting another country. Do prepare what you should pack and what to wear in Vientiane so you’ll get to experience a hassle-free vacation in Laos.