1. Yilan is all about its beautiful scenery and the Wild Smoke restaurant provides just that. Wild Smoke overlooks the Shuangliangpo, which is a lake found near the Fushan Botanical Garden. With its scenic beauty and exceptional food, the Wild Smoke makes it the ideal place when eating and drinking in Yilan
2. Famous all over Taiwan, the Bei Guan Restaurant is known for its delectable seafood dishes. Seafood is one of the most prominent types of food along the northeastern coast of Yilan and Bei Guan Restaurant offers exceptional quality. Get ready to get your hands dirty as you taste some of the freshest seafood around.
3. Having a taste of an authentic local noodle shop is a must when visiting Yilan. Shan Shing Noodle Shop is one of the more famous noodle shops in Yilan that serves mostly vegetarian food. This restaurant is great for noodle lovers and for those who need a quick lunch meal.
4. You may find yourself eating at many small noodle outlets day in and day out during your stay in Yilan. The Cheng Ming Vegetarian Restaurant then offers a more sophisticated and unique way to dine without being too hard on the pocket. This vegetarian restaurant has a menu in the local language, but pictures and the helpful staff are more than happy to help you with your orders.
5. For a unique and fun way to dine, the Loving Hut is a great way to enjoy a meal. The Loving Hut encourages vegetarian living and is a branch of an international chain of vegetarian restaurants. Food is reasonably priced with menus that have appetizing pictures beside them to not give you a hard time choosing your dish.
6. Yilan is not all about Chinese and Taiwanese food as the city has its share of international cuisines as well. The Capri European Restaurant proves that Yilan can be a great place to taste authentic European cuisine as well, making it one of the favorite hangout place of locals. The restaurant is part of the Shangri-La Boutique Hotel so you should expect incomparable service as well.
What to eat:
1. Bao Xin Fen Yuan is one of the favorite desserts native to Yilan. This yummy treat is made from tapioca and is typically served on ice. What make it taste even better are the unimaginable toppings you can put over it to make the dessert even yummier.
2. Po-ba is another must try dish in Yilan and is a type of meat widely sold in the county. Po-ba is much known for tasting “authentically Taiwan” and is a popular dish to complement Chinese cuisine. This type of meat has a distinctive aroma and flavor that makes it all the more appetizing to eat.
3. As mentioned, seafood along the Yilan harbors is something you won’t get to taste anywhere else in the world. There are numerous seafood outlets in the more popular harbors of Yilan where dishes are prepared right before your eyes. Fish and seafood are carefully chosen from local harbor markets so the products are guaranteed as fresh as you can get.
4. The Northeastern coast of Taiwan is lined with old tea houses and cafes that carry an old world charm to them that just add to their exquisite dining experience. Hunting for great tasting tea and coffee is some of the rewarding things tourists can do when eating and drinking in Yilan. Don’t undermine the smaller shops as you never know where you’ll find your best cup of tea.