The Siam Square, located in Pathum War district and stretching along the Rama I, Henri Dunant and Phaya Thai Roads, is a shopping and entertainment area in Bangkok. It boasts of several shopping centers, hotels and restaurants.
The whole property originally belonged to the Chulalongkorn University, which constructed and rented out small buildings in 1970 to help raise its income. After the success of these little shops, investors saw its potential and began building shops and establishments until the area became the busy commercial hub that it is today. At present, it is one of the most popular shopping districts in Bangkok, and here are the reasons why you should consider visiting the area:
- Bargain Outlets. There are many small shops selling bargain-basement trendy clothes for the young and older people who love fashion. Ladies’ and men’s clothes, bags, footwear and accessories of different kinds are aplenty. You can also find many souvenir items and all kinds of fancy and hard-to-find knick-knacks. This place is where you can get the latest in fashion and haggle your way to a complete wardrobe of inexpensive and fashionable pieces.
- Night shopping and low-priced fashion clothing. After nine in the evening, when the shops start to close, the alleys start to fill up with street vendors. You’ll love how the cheap products become even cheaper at night.
- Designer Boutiques. You’ll find that there are also designer boutiques available. If designer items make your heart beat fast, then you’ll delight in the branded stores and shops in the district.
- IT Products Galore. If it’s electronic products you’re looking for, the Siam Square can give you a huge selection of IT products from computers to cameras, cellular phones and a variety of accessories. An entire floor called IT Gateway is dedicated for electronic and all other IT products. Allot one full day for exploration especially if you intend to go home with a purchase.
- Fun and nightlife. After dark, the Square comes to life with music, food and some drinking. It’s also often the venue of band performances and other entertainment and musical events. It is famous among young locals and known as a hip place where the coolest things happen. Restaurants also abound in the area, including world-class Hard Rock Café and a number of restaurants serving international cuisines.
So if you’re the fun-loving kind and you love beautiful, fashionable stuff, Siam Square is where you should be. You’ll surely enjoy being surrounded by pretty things priced all within your budget. And if you get tired shopping, there’s a cinema where you can relax and watch a movie. Or, you could sit in one of the cafes and bakeries and watch people as you rest and regroup for your next exploration. And if you’ve all but exhausted the whole place, you’ll be glad to know that it connects to another famous shopping complex of Bangkok via sky bridges. The shops are open from 10 am to 8 pm every day. Now is the time to shop till you drop!