Baguio City is the ideal place to hold any outdoor activity for up to tens of thousands of people because of its fantastic climate, parks and wide open spaces. Luckily for fun-lovers in Baguio, the city capitalizes on that-all year round! Blessed with a strong community spirit and a desire to showcase the liveliness of the city, Baguio City boasts a vibrant culture and festivals, some of which we have collected into a list below.
- Panagbenga – More popularly known as the Flower Festival held every February, the Panagbenga Festival is the largest and most popular festivity held in Baguio. Those who attend it will gape as a huge display of flowers fills the entire city with a parade of floral floats, street dancing and drum bands. This month-long series of events that dates back to 1994 also includes landscape competitions, golf tournaments, art exhibits and flea markets with a whole lot of energy and vivacity coming from the people of Baguio.
- PMA Homecoming – Distinguished alumni of the prestigious Philippine Military Academy hold an annual reunion during the second week of February. The highlights of the homecoming are the balls and parades.
- Baguio Foundation Day – Held yearly in September, this festival commemorates the city’s inauguration when it became a chartered city back in year 1909. This event is celebrated with cultural shows, art exhibits and parades.
- Baguio Arts Festival – The months of November and December are made special by the Baguio Arts Festival with their visual arts, performing and ethnic arts features. With the Baguio Arts Guild that started back in 1989 organizing the yearly event, the ultimate goal of the festival is to promote the city as a venue for talented artists and the arts.
- Holy Week in Baguio – The Roman Catholic Holy Week kicks off during the summer vacation with a huge influx of visitors arriving in Baguio in a bid to escape the lowland temperatures. Civil and business groups usually have a line of activities during this season.
- Fil-Am Golf Tournament – Hundreds and even thousands of golfers can enjoy the cool weather and beautiful backdrop landscapes of Baguio during the Fil-Am Golf Tournament. Participants come from both the Philippines and the United States to display their finest club-swinging skills. Venues for the tournaments are usually held at the Baguio Country Club and Camp John Hay.
- Silahis ng Pasko – To end the year of Baguio’s festivities, the city celebrates the Christmas season’s spirit of giving during the Silahis ng Pasko. Caroling competitions, sports tournaments and gift-giving among the youth are the major activities during the festivity. Rearing the youth and uplifting the spirit of sharing is the main point of this celebration.
The festivals of Baguio not only entice visitors to the beautiful outdoors but encourage them to enjoy the fascinatingly engaging social life and heritage of Baguio City. Aside from visiting Baguio for its cool temperatures, the rich culture and festivals of Baguio give tourists another reason to visit the City of Pines.