The Nagoya City Area, located between Nongsa and Sekupang in Batam Island, is where you’ll find most businesses in Batam Island. Batam Island is one of the fastest growing “holiday islands” in Indonesia, and is located in Sumatra, forming part of its Riau Archipelago.
The Nagoya City Area, better known as Lubuk Baja locally, is one of the two business districts in Batam. While it is currently not the main business area, it is busier and livelier than Batam Center Area, the supposed “hub” of the commerce industry in Batam. And while major developments are currently underway in Batam Center, there are also expansions going on in Lubuk Baja. Still, Batam Center is the administrative seat of Batam and the local government has grand plans for the area to become the center of trade, finance and economy of Batam Island.
However, if you’ve come in the island in search of the “real” Batam, the Lubuk Baja is where you should head on to. It is where you’ll find most shopping centers, entertainment venues, restaurants, cafes, spas, resorts, hotels, temples, cultural attractions and many others in Batam Island.
THINGS TO DO IN NAGOYA CITY
1. Go Shopping
With many huge shopping complexes located near each other, Lubuk Baja is the perfect place to do your shopping in Batam Island. And if you want imitations of branded products, you’ll find them all here as well. Following are some of the biggest malls in the area:
- Nagoya Hill Shopping Center. The newest mall in Batam Island, with three floors packing in specialty shops, boutiques, jewelry stores, accessories shops, clothing stores and many others.
- Batam City Square Mall. Also called BCS mall for short. It is one of the largest shopping malls in the area, and quite popular with locals as well as foreign tourists.
- Diamond City Mall. Also called DC mall. It’s one of the best places to go to for Indonesian traditional cloth (better known as Batik).
- Center Point Mall. There are three floors in this shopping mall. You’ll be able to find branded clothes, bags and accessories here.
- Robinson Mall. Another shopping mall that you might want to explore. It has specialty stores, boutiques and clothing stores.
- Top 100 Shopping Center. One of the places you can go shopping for electronics and gadgets.
2. Sample Batam’s famous seafood.
There are many seafood restaurants in Lubuk Baja. And because Batam is an island, you’ll find lots of restaurants offering freshly caught seafood like crabs, prawns, shrimps and many others. Of course, there are also great places where you’ll find local delicacies and traditional Indonesian food being served.
3. Experience nightlife.
At night, Lubuk Baja comes to life with the many twinkling lights beckoning people to nightclubs, bars, music lounges and many others. Locals often refer to Nagoya as the “entertainment center” of Batam Island, and if you decide to visit the area at night, you won’t be disappointed in that aspect. You’ll find lots of places to spend the night drinking and dancing.
Some of the most popular nightclubs include the Ice Pub, Jungle Diskotik, Ozon, Discotheque and Planet Ozon Discotheque, among many others. Whichever nightclub you decide to go to, Nagoya is definitely the place to be when nighttime falls in Batam.