Davao has some of the best world-class diving sites in the Philippines. The Samal islands and Talicud are some of the more popular places for tourists and divers. Here is a list of the top sites when diving in Davao:
- Angels Cove – Located at the southwest side of Talicud, divers frequent the area due to its gentle water currents. It’s perfect for the novice divers, with an easy dive with a depth of 20 meters where divers will be able to see soft and hard corals around. For the more experienced divers, they can go to 40 to 50 meters deep, revealing huge jack fishes, mackerels and tuna. A close neighbor to the Angels Cove is the Mansud Wall, which has a rock surface with rich coral formations. Experienced divers and snorkelers will enjoy this diving spot, especially at night time.
- The Marissa Dive Site – Visitors staying at the Pearl Farm Resort can find the Marissa dive site on the southeast side of the Samal Island. About 20 to 25 meters off the shoreline, divers will be awestruck with the splendid sights of bubble and table corals, elk and stag horns and the ultra-rich marine life.
- Ligid Pinnacle Point – The Pinnacle point is an islet of an imposing rock formation near Samal. It has fascinating pink corals and is surrounded by two other, lower pinnacles. Diving in this site feels like climbing mountain, though.
- Ligid Caves – Heading deeper than 25 meters, two caves will appear that lead to a corridor of the home of reef fish hiding in sponge crabs and soft and black corals, making it an ideal place for diving in Davao.
- Dapia Dive Site – Along the coast of Talicud, Dapia is home to pristine waters with an abundance of marine life around and beneath it. Tropical fish, barruca, sea urchins, sea horses and even jack fish and tuna can be seen in lavish numbers here.
- Babu Santa Minwall Dive Site – This Talicud Island portion follows a rock wall that reveals various coral formations sticking out from the wall. Watch closely when you come across a hidden cove that is a haven for tunicates.
- Coral Garden Dive Site – This attractive dive site is referred to as “Linosutan” by the local divers from the Baranggay of the same name. Be treated with sea sand dunes, hard and soft coral beds, garden eels and parrot fish all over.
- Dela Paz Corner Dive Site – This extraordinary dive site treats divers to a lavishing sight of nudi-branches and pluerobranches as well as sponges and pipefish. Find interesting cracks and fissures on its rock wall with tons of coral and rock protrusions.
- Mushroom Rock Dive Site – This dive site is the ideal place for experienced divers due to the strong and quite challenging current. At times, dolphins may be seen roaming around this dome-shaped rock formation with a narrow trunk beneath it, hence the name.
- Tagbaobo – Divers can savor at the sights of giant’s turtles wandering around this site. It is one of the many turtle sanctuaries of Samal with amazing coral sights as well.
These sites are but a taste of the dozens of locations when diving in Davao. Remain in awe at the amazing underwater life found in Davao’s surrounding islands and relish at the beauty of the marine life.